Matt and Hank are back after a bit of a summer layoff. We start our Tales of the Cocktail coverage this year talking pisco (info below). Dänny Ronen stops by for a tasting and a ton of information. After that we discuss some MLB standings and give our thoughts on the start of NFL training camp. Don't forget, use promo code NOLA at Shaker and Spoon for a $10 discount!!!
* Peru’s national spirit
* It is made from only 8 grape varietals.
* There are three variants of Pisco: puro (single grape expression), acholado (blend of two or more grapes), and Mosto Verde (a style in which the juice of the pressed grapes is partially fermented).
* The Denomination of Origin it carries dictates that this grape-based brandy/grape-based distillate (like an unaged cognac) is distilled to proof with NOTHING added -- no water, no color, no wood aging.
* Pisco doesn’t age, it rests, in non-reactive vessels.
* About 8 lbs of grapes go into making a Puro or Acholado -- it takes 18 lbs of grapes to make a Mosto Verde style Pisco.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH PISCO?
* Make craft cocktail bar drinks in your own home with the Shaker & Spoon cocktail kit (www.shakerandspoon.com) -- use our special code Nola by July 31st and get $10 off the one box or even a whole subscription -- all you need is Shaker & Spoon's upcoming August "Pisco Fever" box, plus one 750mL bottle of Pisco, and you can create a 12-cocktail party (consisting of three different drinks from three different bartenders, including one from right here in NOLA)!
* Try a Chilcano -- delivers the Deep South/South American connection. The Chilcano is one of Peru’s four pillar cocktails and the South American cousin of a whiskey ginger (aka horse’s neck) -- it's a classic Highball, easy to make, just Pisco + ginger beer or ginger ale, splash of lime and a dash of bitters (Angostura or Amargo Chuncho if you can get them).
IF YOU MISSED THE PISCOTARIAN 2.0 EVENT AT TALES OF THE COCKTAIL...
...you can recreate one of the cocktails featured that day -- this one is by Tony Abou-Ganim (aka The Modern Mixologist) from Libertine Social in the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
2019 Passion Punch
1 1/2 oz Pisco 100 Acholado
1/2 oz heavy-dark rum
1 oz passion fruit puree
2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz organic agave syrup
2 dashes Angostura orange bitters
Pinch of ground nutmeg, garnish with orange and lemon slices, FILTHY black cherry, and a mint sprig.
To follow the Trade Commission of Peru in Miami, Hashtags/handles are
#SpiritofPeru #PiscoisPeru #Piscotarian #PiscoNights @peru.trade